Last month I wrote about barriers to achieving your goals and how to remove them. Now is the time to set and achieve your goals. Let’s get started — the sooner you begin, the sooner you will achieve your goals!
As there are so many ways that you can use an accountancy qualification, it can lead to a feeling of overwhelm and not knowing what to do next.
The main thing at this point is not to panic, but calmly think about what you want your future to look like. Consider your situation as a world of possibilities to be fulfilled. As with any decision, it is made much simpler by following a process.
I will take you through the 7 steps to follow to help you see the wood for the trees and achieve your goals.
Hi, I’m Anna Goodwin, your friendly finance mentor. With over 30 years of experience, I have helped a lot of accountants set goals so that their career is more enjoyable and fulfilling.
The 7 steps to achieve your goals are:
- Believe – that you can achieve your goals and that you deserve to achieve them. Any self-doubt will mean that however hard you try, you won’t be successful. Know that if you work hard and others help you, you can achieve your goals.
- Visualise – What do you want? What is it you have always wanted to do or be? The clearer you are, the easier it will be to make it happen. Create a daily mantra to help you stay positive.
- Write it down– by writing your dreams on paper or, even better, drawing them, you will be able to see and feel what success looks like. Have them around the house so that you can see them every day – this will help you to focus.
- Know your purpose– you need to have complete clarity on your purpose so that you move forward solidly towards that goal.
- Commit – if this is worth achieving, it is worth putting your heart and soul into it. Being half-hearted won’t work!
- Stay Focused– don’t get distracted from what you are trying to achieve.
- Set a plan of action– have a plan which breaks down what you want to achieve into bite-sized actions and has deadlines for when you are going to attack each action – it will work wonders!
Don’t forget to be SMART
Specific —Your goal must be clear and well defined. This will provide you with focus and direction. For example, a goal which states “I want to work for a charity” isn’t as specific as “I want to work as a financial accountant for a local charity which helps disadvantaged children.”
Measurable —Include precise amounts, dates and so on in your goals so you can measure your degree of success. If your goal is simply defined as “To enjoy my job more”, how will you know when you have been successful?
Attainable —When setting a goal, it is important to keep a balance between setting a goal which is too easy or too hard. Know yourself and know whether a massive goal will stretch you to achieve more or demoralise you! The goal needs to be realistic yet challenging.
Relevant —Goals should be relevant to the direction you want your life and career to take. This will help you to stay focused. If you set goals from your life plan and are clear on where you are going then you will find it easier to achieve your goals.
Consider what it is you want to achieve and make a plan of action.
In this plan, break your goals down into specific actions so that it feels more achievable.
Think of this time as your preparation for the year ahead. What do you want the next 12 months to look like? What do you want to focus on?
Start on the 7 steps to achieve your goals today. You will be surprised at what you can accomplish when you set your mind to it!
Remember, if you need an independent person to brainstorm with, then I’m happy to mentor you – I know from my own experience that this makes a massive difference.
“I think it’s safe to say that without the mentoring and support I have received from Anna, I doubt I would be in a position to move forward with my plans. Anna has been able provide direction and support where others only created obstacles.”
Daniel Yates – Accountancy student
Next week I will concentrate on how to get a plan in place to improve your personal finances.
Do you want to stay in control of your finances? Why not join my online group?I also offer 121 mentoring and Accountancy services. If you would like more information, get in touch or visit my website.
Anna Goodwin @2021 All Rights Reserved.